January 28, 2014

Free Podcasts I Like


I like good podcasts and I cannot lie


Often when I'm relaxing on the beach, or taking a walk alone, or doing yard work, I use my iPod.  I have found that, while I enjoy some music, I tend to enjoy talk and good discussion even more.  So I have loaded my iPod with podcasts, and refresh them regularly. copyrightjoestrazzere

Here are some podcasts that I particularly like these days:

APM: Marketplace Money
By American Public Media
Description
Marketplace Money from American Public Media is a weekly hour-long program on the topics of personal finance, money, retirement, and health care.

APM: Marketplace Tech Report
By American Public Media
Description
The Marketplace Tech Report is a daily radio segment and Podcast produced by Marketplace from American Public Media exploring the world of technology and the Internet.

CNBC's "The Suze Orman Show"
By CNBC
Description
Suze Orman is America's most recognized personal finance expert. "The Suze Orman Show," which airs 9pm E.T. Saturdays on CNBC, covers today's hottest financial topics, helping people make the connection between self worth and net worth. In a format that's fast-paced, down-to-earth and entertaining, Suze candidly tells her audience the truth about money so viewers can change the course of their financial destiny -- to have more and be more.

Freakonomics Radio
By Stephen J. Dubner
Description
In their books "Freakonomics" and "SuperFreakonomics," Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner explore "the hidden side of everything," with stories about cheating schoolteachers, self-dealing real-estate agents, and crack-selling mama’s boys. The Freakonomics Radio podcast, hosted by Dubner, carries on that tradition with weekly episodes. Prepare to be enlightened, engaged, perhaps enraged, and definitely surprised.

FRONTLINE: Audiocast | PBS
By FRONTLINE
Description
You asked; we listened. FRONTLINE presents audio versions of select full-length episodes for listening on the go. Want more full-length FRONTLINE Audiocasts? Please leave a review and let us know what you think. (For behind-the-scenes interviews with FRONTLINE producers, please see the FRONTLINE Extras podcast with host Arun Rath.)

New England Patriots: PFW In Progress
By New England Patriots
Description
Take a break with PFW's Fred Kirsch, Paul Perillo, Andy Hart and Erik Scalavino as they bring you behind the pages of Patriots Football Weekly. Get the latest scoop from Gillette Stadium and answers to your Patriots questions. For more information about New England Patriots official podcasts, visit Patriots.com.

NOVA | PBS
By WGBH Science Unit
Description
NOVA brings you short audio stories from the world of science -- anything from hurricanes to mummies to neutrinos. For more science programming online and on air, visit NOVA's Web site at pbs.org/nova, or watch NOVA broadcasts Wednesday nights on PBS.

NPR: Planet Money Podcast
By NPR
Description
Money makes the world go around, faster and faster every day. On NPR's Planet Money, you'll meet high rollers, brainy economists and regular folks -- all trying to make sense of our rapidly changing global economy.

The Truth About Money with Ric Edelman Radio Show
By Ric Edelman
Description
Listen every week to The Truth About Money with Ric Edelman. Ric gives you comprehensive, educational advice that is both entertaining and useful -- on investments, IRAs, retirement planning, mortgages, insurance, college planning, and much more!

I've looked at and listened to a few podcasts about Testing and QA, but haven't found any I've really liked.

How about you - any good recommendations for podcasts?


This article originally appeared in my blog: All Things Quality
My name is Joe Strazzere and I'm currently a Director of Quality Assurance.
I like to lead, to test, and occasionally to write about leading and testing.
Find me at http://AllThingsQuality.com/.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, srinivas. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  2. Here's some I listen to regularly, Joe.

    Analysis: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r4vz

    More Or Less: Behind The Stats: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

    Radiolab: http://www.radiolab.org/series/podcasts/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a matter of preference but for personal finance type stuff I like Clark Howard and for a little more on the investing side Paul Merriman (formerly of Sound Investing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I have read and like some of Merriman's stuff. I'll have to check out those podcasts too.

      Delete
  4. I have quite a few - many are podcast forms of radio shows from NPR (US), CBC (Canada), BBC (UK) or ABC (Australia). Each makes a lot of shows available freely. In fact, of the 22 podcasts I subscribe to that are updating, those 4 sites provide 3/4 of the shows, Rather than list all the shows out (which was eaten by my iPad when I started it and which would probably have exceeded any maximum comment size allowed :), here's the directory pages for each:

    NPR - http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php
    CBC - http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/
    BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts
    ABC - http://www.abc.net.au/services/podcasting

    All 4 cover an extensive set of topics and since they're professionally produced radio shows, the production quality is top notch. No software testing though - For those, I like PerfBytes that Srinivas mentioned. I also thought Bruce Mcleod & Trish Khoo's TestCast had some good stuff but they haven't made any new episodes in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Andy - those are great sources! I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete