January 22, 2013

What do I do? I meet!

meetings - lots and lots of meetings!


When people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them about computers, about software, about software bugs, about testing, and about management.

But thinking about it recently, and looking at my Outlook Calendar, I could sum up the majority of what I do lately with two simple words:

I MEET

Just to give you an idea, here's a list of my current regularly-scheduled weekly meetings:
Regularly Scheduled Weekly Meetings 
Monday 
1.0 Status Meeting with boss
1.0 QA Team meeting
1.0 Project Team Meeting - Project A 
Tuesday 
0.5 One-on-One Meeting with QAer 1
1.0 Internal Client Opportunities Meeting
1.0 QA Team Learning Session (bi-weekly)
1.5 Senior Management Staff Meeting
2.0 Project Team Meeting - Project B 
Wednesday 
0.5 One-on-One Meeting with QAer 2
1.0 Production Control Board Meeting
1.0 Project Team Meeting - Project C 
Thursday 
1.0 India Telephone Meeting
0.5 One-on-One Meeting with QAer 3
1.0 Project Team Meeting - Project D
2.0 Project Team Meeting - Project B 
Friday 
0.5 One-on-One Meeting with QAer 4
1.0 Project Team Meeting - Project E
1.0 Project Team Meeting - Project F 
Total = 18.5 hours
And in addition to these weekly meetings there are many others that occur monthly, semi-annually, periodically, and sporadically. copyrightjoestrazzere

Since I always like to be prepared, I also spend time before each of these meetings reviewing or preparing the agenda and background materials. I spend more time related to meeting than any other task.

So next time someone asks "What do you do?", I'll probably arrange a meeting to tell them all about it.

Image courtesy of sixninepixels / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

This article originally appeared in my blog: All Things Quality
My name is Joe Strazzere and I'm currently a Director of Quality Assurance.
I like to lead, to test, and occasionally to write about leading and testing.
Find me at http://AllThingsQuality.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment