January 18, 2013

Is This Really "What we expect in 2013"?

not actually me


I was browsing through the January edition of SDTimes magazine (yes, the real dead-tree version), and found an article titled "What we expect in 2013". In it, the editors make a few predictions about what the new year will bring for the Software Development community. copyrightjoestrazzere

Here's an excerpt that caught my eye:
Development teams will focus on testing. Whether driven there by mobility or by the cloud, we will see decreased corporate and customer tolerance for buggy or insecure software. Developers will get more test training, more testers will be hired, and more outsourced testing services will be launched. It's about time.
I've been reading similar predictions for years, and I've yet to see most of this happen.

To me (except for the part about "more outsourced testing services will be launched" which has been happening for quite a long time), I think this is all wishful thinking.

What about you? 

Do you see actually any evidence that corporations or individuals are becoming less tolerant of bugs? 
Are your Developers really getting more test training? 
Are you hiring more testers?


This article originally appeared in my blog: All Things Quality
My name is Joe Strazzere and I'm currently a Director of Quality Assurance.
I like to lead, to test, and occasionally to write about leading and testing.
Find me at http://AllThingsQuality.com/.

2 comments:

  1. YanGreenwoodJanuary 31, 2013

    Do you see actually any evidence that corporations or individuals are becoming less tolerant of bugs? Yes

    Are your Developers really getting more test training? Unfortunately, no

    Are you hiring more testers? Unfortunately, no

    When the first point will get more and more important, point 2 and 3 will probably be either pass or fail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, YanGreenwood. Can you write a bit about the evidence you see that corporations or individuals are becoming less tolerant of bugs? I have to admit, I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete