December 14, 2011

Perhaps They Should Have Tested More - Windows Phone

Mang... oh, no!


A recent flaw in Microsoft Windows Phone 7.5 allows certain SMS messages to cause the phone to reboot and come back up with the messaging hub disabled. It's kind of one better than the Google Android flaw which rebooted a phone in response to a simple texted message. In the case of Windows Phones, you get a reboot and a disabled service - a twofer! And the only way to cure the now-disabled messaging service is to reset the phone, and clear out all of its data.  copyrightjoestrazzere

Perhaps Microsoft should have tested more?

It does lead one to wonder - what messages might do that to a Windows Phone?  Here are a few guesses:
  • Reboot
  • SJobsRulz
  • URJustAZune
  • Mangle
  • QualityIsJob1
  • WhoNeedsSMS
  • IE9
  • PutPeopleFirst
  • wINrUMORS
  • Droid
  • Windows95

See also:

This article originally appeared in my blog: All Things Quality
My name is Joe Strazzere and I'm currently a Director of Quality Assurance.
I like to lead, to test, and occasionally to write about leading and testing.
Find me at http://AllThingsQuality.com/.

5 comments:

  1. Windows_ME
    MicrosoftB0B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I had forgotten about Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh, well, there goes buying that phone for my husband for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogs are so interactive where we get lots of informative on any topics nice job keep it up !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and include almost all vital info. I would like to see more posts like this.

    ReplyDelete