May 15, 2011

Google Blogger (and All Things Quality) Goes Dark


Last week, Google's Blogger service experienced a multi-day outage.  For the first part of the outage, blogs (including this one) were completely inaccessible.  Later, most blogs were back up, but recent content changes were missing.  Eventually, Google was able to restore most of the missing content.

From Google:
Here’s what happened: during scheduled maintenance work Wednesday night, we experienced some data corruption that impacted Blogger’s behavior. Since then, bloggers and readers may have experienced a variety of anomalies including intermittent outages, disappearing posts, and arriving at unintended blogs or error pages. A small subset of Blogger users (we estimate 0.16%) may have encountered additional problems specific to their accounts
This leads some to rightly question what it would have been like if this had happened to other Google services like GMail or Google Docs?  And what if you had moved your business "to the cloud" and entrusted its online presence to the availability of these services?  That's a pretty scary thought.

Now I use lots of Google sites and services.  I think they are terrific, well thought out, and priced right (mostly free).  But would I bet my business on their availability?  Probably not.

See also:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=7b6d0384a4f5fa00&hl=en

And:


This article originally appeared in my blog: All Things Quality
My name is Joe Strazzere and I'm currently a Director of Quality Assurance.
I like to lead, to test, and occasionally to write about leading and testing.
Find me at http://strazzere.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment