April 14, 2009

Vacation in Washington, D.C.


(Washington, DC - April, 2009)

Instead of going to Florida again this Spring, we decided to vacation in Washington, D.C.  (It was my turn to choose, and I'm a sucker for museums)

My wife and I had a great time in Washington.  We saw all sorts of things.  Some Cherry Blossoms were past, but some varieties were still blooming - very pretty.

On Thursday, we walked for miles and miles around the Mall, just taking pictures and seeing things.  That night we went on a Monuments by Moonlight bus tour - it was very nice.  The Jefferson Memorial is beautiful.  The Korean War memorial is really spooky at night.  Even in the dark the Vietnam Memorial still chokes me up.

Friday was a nice warm day.  My wife went to Madam Toussaud's Wax Museum and did some shopping while I went to some of the Smithsonians.  They were great.  The Air and Space museum was the best.  One that was unexpected was how nice the new American Indian museum was.  Very pretty and a great food court.

Saturday was drizzly, but we went on a tour of the Capitol, then to the Botanic Gardens.  Later, we walked down toward the center of the City and had a nice dinner at The Chop House.  The Frozen Four college Hockey finals were at the Verizon Center there - Boston University won.  Lots of Hockey people around.

Sunday we were at Lafayette Square.  As we walked toward the White House, the Secret Service had metal detectors set up in front of a small yellow church. Turns out, the Obamas were going to Easter Services there, so we hung out for an hour or so and saw them go into church, then walked around the White House.

Mike Eruzione (from the Miracle on Ice Hockey Team) was staying at our Hotel.  We said Hi and shook his hand in the elevator.  I'm pretty sure I saw Jesse Jackson in the airport on the way home.

All in all a nice vacation - wish I had more days available for the trip.