July 10, 2008

Vacation in Maine 2008

For the second year in a row, we spent the July 4th holiday week in York, Maine, right across from Long Sands.
  

(York, Maine)

Again, a really nice, relaxing week.

We went for long walks every day, and spent some time on the beach almost every day.  We met up with some family, and some friends.

My son got to enjoy some surfing.  My wife got to enjoy some shopping.

And one of the things I enjoy for summer vacation is the time I get to read.  I went to the bargain bin of the local Barnes & Noble, picked up some interesting books, and wasn't disappointed.  I was able to read three books:
  • The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design by Leonard Susskind
  • Romo: My Life on the Edge: Living Dreams and Slaying Dragons by Bill Romanowski
  • The Brothers Bulger: How They Terrorized and Corrupted Boston for a Quarter Century by Howie Carr
We also decided to eat at a close-by restaurant for the first time.  It turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.  We've driven by over the years, and based on the take-out window, it appeared to be nothing more than a typical clams-and-burgers joint.  But inside it was far more up-scale that we imagined.  We had some really good seafood - some asian tuna, lobster chowder, etc, and good steak tips.  The waiter (from Senegal) was attentive.  They had a nice selection of beverages.  We ended up going back a second night.  I file this one in the "can't judge a book by its cover" category.

Another nice vacation.