April 7, 2010

Vacation in Florida 2010

For our Spring vacation this year, my wife and I decided to go back to Florida.

Longboat Key, Florida

This time we went to Longboat Key, a beautiful barrier island on the west coast of Florida, surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and Sarasota Bay.

The weather was perfect, the beaches were wonderful.
  • We stayed at a really nice Inn
  • Each morning we took long walks
  • Each day we spent time in the sun, in the ocean, in the pool
  • Each evening we watched the sun set over the Gulf of Mexico
  • We took in a Grapefruit League baseball game - the Red Sox crushed the Orioles in Sarasota (go Sox!)
  • We spent some time shopping and eating at St. Armands Circle
  • We went to Siesta Key Beach - home of "The Best Sand in the World"
  • We went to some really nice restaurants
One thing I experimented with this year - no reading!

Usually, I bring at least 3 books for vacation reading. But this year I wanted to try something different. Rather than bringing the usual reading material, I loaded up my iPod with podcasts. Not bad! Some really interesting lectures and discussions about science, politics, sports. I think next vacation, I will go back to bringing books, but will also continue with the podcasts. Oh, and I need a different set of earbuds. The ones that come with the iPod get uncomfortable (at least for me) after a while.

A truly wonderful vacation. One of the most relaxing vacations I can remember.