May 22, 2009

Messages from Me



In my Spam filter, I've been seeing more and more messages from "me".

For example, right now, I see these:
From: me
Subject: What is your floor?


From: me
Subject: About your results


From: me
Subject: 2 u


From: me
Subject: Let's dine together tonight


From: me
Subject: Our group dismissed


From: me
Subject: Hilarious party, come


From: me
Subject: Your card found


From: me
Subject: Read through this


From: me
Subject: Order #462803


From: me
Subject: Drive me home


From: me
Subject: Re: Your Hyrdoc0done Order #009642
I have to admit I was intrigued by this one:
From: me
Subject: Work is cancelled today
After all, who would know better if work is really cancelled than me?  So I clicked it.

Thoughtfully, Gmail provides these warnings when I actually decide to peek at one of these messages from me, and even invites me to learn more:
Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information.  Learn more
This message was likely forged and did not originate from your account. Learn More
That's quite kind of Gmail.  Even so, I'm guessing that I would know if it actually originated from me.

Sadly, it didn't originate from me.  Work isn't actually cancelled today - but if you still want to skip work on a Friday before a long holiday weekend, you didn't hear it from me.

Now, I know me. 
I've known me for more than 50 years. 
In fact, I know me almost as well as I know myself.
And I like me, but I guess I just don't like so many messages from me. 

If I tell myself not to send so many silly emails, will that actually stop me?