July 21, 2010

Are You Driven?



Over the years, I've seen many cases where the suffix "-driven testing" is used to make an approach, technique or tool seem more interesting or important.

Here's a collection of such terms:
  • Agent-driven testing
  • Automated acceptance-driven testing
  • Behavior-Driven Testing
  • Bug-driven testing
  • Business-driven testing
  • Capability-driven Testing
  • Checklist-driven testing
  • Code-driven testing
  • Community-driven testing
  • Condition-driven testing
  • Context-driven testing
  • Container-driven testing
  • Contract-driven testing
  • Coverage-driven testing
  • Customer-driven testing
  • Data-driven testing
  • Database-driven testing
  • Deadline-driven testing
  • Defect-driven testing
  • Demand-driven testing
  • Design-driven testing
  • Economics-driven testing
  • End user-driven testing
  • Event-driven testing
  • Example-driven testing
  • Excel data-driven testing
  • Experience-driven testing
  • Failure-driven testing
  • Feature-driven testing copyrightjoestrazzere
  • Framework-driven testing
  • Goal-driven testing
  • GUI-driven testing
  • Input/output driven testing
  • Keyword-driven testing
  • Logic-driven testing
  • Menu-driven testing
  • Metrics-driven testing
  • Model-driven testing
  • Modular-driven testing
  • Modularity-driven testing
  • Object-driven Testing
  • Plan-driven Testing
  • Phase-driven testing
  • Priority-driven testing
  • Purpose-driven testing
  • Requirements-driven testing
  • Result-driven testing
  • Risk-driven testing
  • Scenario-driven testing
  • Script-driven testing
  • Specification-driven testing
  • Spreadsheet-driven testing
  • Statistics-driven testing
  • Story-driven testing
  • Structure-driven testing
  • Stupidity-driven testing (I think it was a joke...)
  • Table-driven testing
  • Test-driven testing (I think it was a typo, but perhaps not...)
  • Type-driven testing
  • Use case-driven testing
  • User-driven testing
  • Vulnerability-driven testing

I'm sure these terms are meaningful to some people, in some contexts.  But they mostly just make me laugh.  In many cases I think they result in little more than a difference without a distinction.

Know of any others you'd like to add to the list?


My name is Joe Strazzere and I'm currently a Director of Quality Assurance.
I like to lead, to test, and occasionally to write about leading and testing.

5 comments:

  1. knowledge driven is one more seen in many contexts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paycheck Driven Testing

    Because seriously? If I didn't have to worry about money, I'd be handing out towels to old women at a pool in the Bahamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pardhasatya84 - good one.

    Chad - Good one. But, you'd do that if you *didn't* have to worry about money? If I didn't have to worry about money, women (probably not so old) would be handing towels to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Director. I'm not sure if you meant Pile-Driven in the wrestling sense, or in the "move my work from one pile to the other" sense, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete